This post may contain affiliate links.
Please read my disclosure policy.
Navy beans are a versatile plant-based source of protein and fiber that can be enjoyed in various dishes. From comforting baked beans, to satisfying soups and healthy salads, it’s always a good idea to have some navy beans in your pantry. In this post, we’re sharing 12 of the most popular navy bean recipes.
What Are Navy Beans?
Navy beans are small pea-shaped white beans. They’re also known as pea beans, Boston beans, haricot beans, and Yankee beans and are a close cousin to Great Northern and cannellini beans.
They can be easily sourced at grocery stores in precooked in cans or dried in packages.
What Are Navy Beans Best For?
Navy beans are high in fiber and proteins, they are best for people trying to lose weight or suffering from diabetes and hypertension.
Do Navy Beans Need to Be Soaked Before Cooking?
You don’t have to soak them before cooking, but soaking the navy beans overnight helps to soften the beans and shortens the cooking time dramatically.
Best Navy Bean Recipes
If you’re craving something comforting but are short on time, give this recipe a try! The canned navy beans are cooked with a handful of tasty ingredients and are then served warm on toast. Serve them with shredded cheese and a crisp side salad for a delicious lunch or dinner!
This is the perfect dish to make after a holiday when you have leftover baked ham in the fridge. The beans make it hearty enough to enjoy as a satisfying dinner! Serve it with lots of buttered crusty bread.
Your crockpot will make easy work of this white bean chili! Set it up in the morning and come home to a hearty meal that’s ready to enjoy! Serve it with sides of avocado, shredded cheese, and sour cream!
Give this hearty dish a try for next week’s Meatless Monday! It takes just 30 minutes to make and is full of healthy ingredients.
Enjoy this protein filled salad on a warm summer evening! Serve it alongside your favorite grilled meats with sliced garlic bread.
Tote this delicious pasta salad to your next potluck! It has gorgeous colors and takes just 32 minutes to make.
This is one of the best veggie burgers we’ve tried! It holds together well and the white beans add flavor and texture. Enjoy it with your favorite toppings and a crisp garden salad.
Satisfy your cravings with this healthy kale and white bean pizza! It’s the perfect blend of savory and salty and the crust is nice and crisp!
Enjoy these tasty tacos on a warm summer evening! They’re ready to eat in just 30 minutes and are an excellent vegan-friendly option.
Best Navy Bean Recipes (Easy Navy Beans on Toast Recipe and More)
- 16 oz canned navy beans see note
- 1 cup vegetable broth (or 4 cups if using dried beans)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or olive oil
- 3 cloves fresh garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped fine
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 slices sandwich bread or similar bread
Serving Ideas – Optional
- 2 large eggs cracked and cooked in the beans
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes chopped
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Place a large pot over medium heat. Add the oil, garlic and onion. Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally
- Add the tomato paste, cider vinegar, brown sugar, molasses and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until combined.
- Rinse the canned beans under cold running water and then add to the pot. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce should reduce somewhat and starts coating the beans.
- Taste the beans and add salt and freshly ground black pepper to your liking. You can also add more of the sweeteners if needed, or more vinegar to make it tangier. Remove from the heat.
- Toast the slices of bread. Spoon the bean mixture generously onto the toast. Top with optional cherry tomatoes and/or cheese.