If you’re wondering how long frozen chicken can be left at room temperature, you’re not alone. It’s a question that many home cooks have wondered about.
In this article, we’re sharing some guidelines about frozen chicken, and how long it can be left at room temperature to be safe to eat.
How Long Can Chicken Sit Out?
As a rule, chicken that’s been left at room temperature for longer than two hours should be tossed. If the temperature of the room is above 90°F, the amount of time reduces to just an hour. It’s always best to keep chicken refrigerated at all times.
Can I Leave Frozen Chicken out Overnight?
No. It’s best to thaw frozen chicken in the fridge where the temperature is regulated. When frozen chicken reaches 40°F it can contaminate foods that are nearby. For this reason, always thaw chicken away from other foods in a leak-proof container.
How long can Frozen Chicken Sit out at Room Temperature?
Frozen chicken should not be left at room temperature for longer than 2 hours. To reduce the formation of harmful bacteria, it’s best to keep frozen chicken in the freezer or in the fridge to safely thaw.
Best Ways to Thaw Frozen Chicken
In addition to thawing chicken in the fridge, it can also be safely thawed in a cold water bath and in the microwave. Follow these steps to safely thaw out frozen chicken:
How to Thaw Frozen Chicken In the Fridge
This is the safest way to thaw frozen chicken. Place the chicken in a leak-proof bowl or container to prevent any nearby foods from being contaminated. Depending on the size of the chicken or the pieces, it can take up to two days to fully thaw out.
Defrost Chicken In A Cold Water Bath
For a faster way to safely thaw chicken, use the cold water bath method.
- Put the frozen chicken in a water proof bag. A large resealable freezer bag is a good choice.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl.
- Pour cold water into the bowl until the chicken is fully covered.
- Change the water every 30 minutes with fresh cold water until the chicken is completely thawed.
Thawing Frozen Chicken In the Microwave
Thawing frozen chicken in the microwave is the fastest method but you will need to check it frequently to ensure that the chicken thaws evenly.
- Remove the chicken from the freezer bag.
- Place it on a microwave safe plate.
- Put it in the microwave and set the microwave to defrost.
- Turn the chicken every 5 minutes to ensure that it thaws evenly.
- Cook the chicken immediately after it has completely thawed.
Chicken that has been defrosted must be fully cooked before it can be frozen again.
- 3 lb Chicken
- Place the chicken in a leak-proof bowl or container to prevent any nearby foods from being contaminated.
- Depending on the size of the chicken or the pieces, it can take up to two days to fully thaw out.