Ranch dressing is high in fat, but what about the carb count? Is it keto-friendly? Read on to find out everything you need to know about ranch dressing and whether or not it works for your keto lifestyle.
What Ingredients Are In Ranch Dressing?
The ingredients in Ranch dressing can vary slightly depending on the recipe and the brand, but here is a general list of ingredients you might find in traditional Ranch dressing:
- Sour cream or mayonnaise
- Buttermilk or milk
- Fresh herbs such as dill, chives, and parsley
- Garlic powder or minced garlic
- Onion powder or minced onion
- Salt and black pepper
- Lemon juice or vinegar
Some recipes may also include additional ingredients such as Worcestershire sauce, mustard, or hot sauce. Additionally, many store-bought Ranch dressings may contain preservatives, stabilizers, and artificial flavors.
Is Ranch Dressing Keto-Friendly?
Yes, most ranch dressing options are keto–friendly. They are made with buttermilk, sour cream, and mayonnaise which makes them high in fat and low in carbs.
Be careful when buying pre-made ranch dressing. Check the labels for added sugars, preservatives, and other non-keto ingredients.
How Many Carbs Are in Ranch Dressing?
According to USDA, there are 1.8g of carbs in 2 tablespoons of classic ranch dressing, 0g of fiber, and 1.4g of sugar.
How Many Net Carbs In Ranch Dressing?
|The Amount||Net Carbs|
|1 tablespoon (15g)||0.9 grams|
|2 tablespoons (30g)||1.8 grams|
|100 grams||5.9 grams|
How to Use Keto Ranch Dressing
As a low-carb version of the traditional dress, keto ranch dressing is great as a dip or salad dressing. Here are some of our favorite ways to use it:
- As a salad dressing: It goes well with a variety of greens, such as lettuce, spinach, and kale, and pairs well with other salad ingredients like tomatoes, avocados, and bacon.
- As a topping: Add it to baked potatoes, sweet potatoes, or roasted vegetables. It also goes well with grilled fish or shrimp.
- As a dip: It’s great for raw vegetables like carrots, celery, cucumber, and bell pepper. It also makes a great dip for keto-friendly chips and crackers.
- As a marinade: Simply coat the meat with the dressing and let it sit in the refrigerator for a few hours before grilling or baking.
How to Store Homemade Ranch Dressing
In an airtight container or a mason jar, leftover ranch dressing can be stored in the fridge for up to two weeks. Discard ranch dressing if it develops an unpleasant smell or looks discolored.
Are Store-Bought Ranch Dressing Keto?
Ranch dressing is typically keto, but all brands vary. Avoid low-fat or low-sodium varieties because they may have other non-keto additives. Be sure the carb count is low, and the fat content is high.
Best Keto Ranch Dressing Brands
- Walden Farms Ranch Dressing: This variety is calorie-free, carb-free, and fat-free. It doesn’t contain any artificial sweeteners.
- Primal Kitchen Ranch Dressing: Made with avocado oil, organic apple cider vinegar, and organic herbs and spices, this ranch dressing is both paleo-friendly and ketogenic.
- Tessemae’s Organic Ranch Dressing: This variety contains avocado oil, garlic, and dill. It is organic and doesn’t contain added sugar.
- Chosen Foods Keto Ranch Dressing: Made with cage-free eggs, this ranch has no preservatives and is also gluten-free.
- Ken’s Simply Vinaigrette Ranch: With only 1g of net carbs per serving, this ranch is made with high-quality ingredients like apple cider vinegar, garlic, and onion. There are no preservatives or artificial flavors.
How to Make Keto Ranch Dressing Without Mayo
Ranch dressing is a popular and delicious salad dressing. While the traditional recipe calls for mayonnaise, you can make a keto-friendly version without it. Here are a few options:
- Keto Ranch Dressing with Greek Yogurt: It’s a low-carb, high-fat salad dressing that is made with Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise. The yogurt provides a creamy base for the dressing, while other ingredients such as garlic, onion powder, and dill give it a tangy and flavorful taste.
- Keto Ranch Dressing with Heavy Whipping Cream: The whipping cream adds a rich and creamy texture to the dressing.
How to Thicken Ranch Dressing?
To give your ranch dressing a thicker consistency, mix in a 1/4 teaspoon of xantham gum. It is a great thickening agent and will not affect the taste. You can also thicken your ranch dressing with mayonnaise, cream cheese, sour cream, or Greek yogurt if you prefer.
Can I Have Hidden Valley Ranch on Keto?
As long as it fits into your daily macro count, Hidden Valley Ranch is safe to eat on keto. It is made of oil, vinegar, and spices. Everything included is keto-friendly.
There are 2g of net carbs in two tablespoons of ranch dressing, 14g of fat, and 1g of protein. It is a great fatty addition to your keto diet.
Carbs do add up quickly so be sure to use ranch dressing in moderation Always read the labels to be sure you have selected a ketogenic variety.
Is Kraft Ranch Dressing Keto?
There are 2g of net carbs per two tablespoons of Kraft Ranch. Be careful of the low-fat and light varieties, which contain 11g of carbs and 7g of carbs respectively.
Which Dressing is Keto-Friendly?
Keto dressings should be low in carbs and high in healthy fats. Besides ranch dressing, here are a few more options:
- Caesar dressing: Caesar dressing is typically made with anchovies, egg yolks, Parmesan cheese, garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil, making it a great keto-friendly option. Just make sure to use high-quality ingredients and avoid store-bought versions that may contain added sugars or preservatives.
- Olive oil and vinegar dressing: A classic combination of extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar can make a tasty and keto-friendly dressing. Just mix 3 parts olive oil with 1 part vinegar and add some salt, pepper, and herbs to taste.
- Blue cheese dressing: Blue cheese dressing is a great option for those on a keto diet as it is typically made with high-fat ingredients like sour cream, mayonnaise, and blue cheese. Look for recipes that use full-fat ingredients and avoid store-bought varieties that may contain added sugars or vegetable oils.
You May Also Like
- Is Mayo Keto and Carbs in Mayonnaise
- Is Balsamic Vinegar Keto and Carbs in Balsamic Vinegar
- Is Greek Yogurt Keto and Carbs in Greek Yogurt
How to Make Keto Ranch Dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, and heavy cream until smooth.
- Add the chopped parsley, chives, dill, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper to the bowl and stir until combined.
- Slowly add in the apple cider vinegar, stirring until the dressing reaches your desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply